Friday, July 1, 2011

Bethlehem Restaurant Week

It's that time of year again: BETHLEHEM RESTAURANT WEEK!  The Summer version of restaurant week runs from June 26th to July 2nd and offers special discounted menus at 29 participating restaurants.  Fear not, there is a second Restaurant Week in the Winter for those who are out of town or otherwise unavailable during the warm weather version.  Now before jumping right in and being overwhelmed by all of the options, allow me to offer a few things to consider when choosing a Restaurant Week location:

  • What are the prices? Prices on the individual establishments' Restaurant Week menus range from $10 - $30.  Check out the specific restaurant prices here.
  • What time of day can I visit the restaurants?  Restaurant Week deals are offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  However, not every restaurant is open for all three meal times.
  •  Can I just show up or do I need a reservation?  There is no requirement for a reservation, and some of the restaurants do not offer them.  That being said, many of the restaurants will get extremely busy, so if you know which day you want to eat out, it might be a good idea to see if that is an option.
  • What is the parking situation?  Something I learned after paying is that Bethlehem will cover your parking if you are in historic downtown or the South Side (other locations offer free parking).  You can have your time-stamped ticket validated for three hours of free parking at either the Walnut Street or North Street garages.  On the South Side, the restaurants have tokens available for street parking meters.
  • Should I go to for the discount or the local flavor?  This is a personal decision.  I opted for the local flavor, but I will share that some restaurants offer much better deals than others.  Melting Pot is probably one of the best packages, but it is a national chain available in other areas than downtown Bethlehem.  Meanwhile, many local restaurants offer a much smaller discount but offer a unique Bethlehem experience.  
  • Do I have to order from the Restaurant Week menu?  No, in fact I was one of those rebels who opted out of the deals.  Given the limited nature of the discounted options, it isn't always the best choice for everyone.  I realize that ordering off the regular menu takes away one of the main benefits of Restaurant Week, but I think it's more about the fun of seeing downtown with all of the buzz of large crowds and you can still get free parking.
For my personal choice, I opted for Italian food at Mama Nina's.  Mama Nina's has quickly become one of my favorite establishments in Bethlehem.  It offers complimentary wine and garlic knots, a fantastic menu, and a very intimate setting that is well worth the trip.  I must offer the warning that the garlic knots are both addicting and potent, which an entire package of breath mints may still not neutralize.  I am very particular when it comes to red sauces, but rest assured that Mama Nina does it right.  The Veal Parmigiana is outstanding and the portions will usually provide enough for a second meal.  I would also recommend the Bolognese with the pasta of your choosing, but the specials usually include a seafood option that is too tempting to turn down.  The outdoor seating is a great way to enjoy the warm weather and also provides a great opportunity for people watching while dining.  Even from my few experiences, it is very evident that Nino and Nina Basile take great pride in their restaurant, want to provide each person with a hearty meal and positive experience that will keep their guests coming back for more.     

No comments:

Post a Comment